7 Ways to Tell a Saskatoon from a Blueberry by M. K. Stelmack

This summer, I left a comment on the two Patricias July blog When Under Pressure about saskatoons. Patricia Bradly asked what a saskatoon was and I'm here today to let her and all the unsuspecting public know about the Canadian prairie's little summer berry.

The best way to describe something relatively unknown is to compare it to something that is recognizable to many. Enter the blueberry. And so the comparison starts.

1. Appearance


Here, they are side by side:



The saskatoon (on the left, in case you wondering) is shinier, darker and tends to be smaller than its rival. Mind you, that's a wild saskatoon versus a domesticated blueberry. I understand that something very like a saskatoon grows wild through the Midwest. Comments?


2. Taste

Hard to capture in a picture, but this is it for me:

Blueberry


Saskatoon




Warning: Tastes differ but I'm what can I say--I'm a prairie girl at heart.


3. Location

Saskatoons are considered a western North American species, so those from Eastern Canada and southward never had to pick them out of the ditches, coulees, hillsides and fencelines here on the prairies. And yes, the largest city in the province of Saskatchewan was named after the native Cree word for "the fruit of the tree of the many branches". There does not appear to be a city or a town named Blueberry, but is a descriptor for rivers, lakes and hills, one in particular where a thrill was found.

Saskatoon (the non-berry variety, except for that one image which was inserted, I believe, for comparative purposes):


4. Sinkability

This 6-second video is available on YouTube, but Blogger won't upload it. Sorry. Try the link, though. Spoiler: It was a photo finish. 






Saskatoon vs Blueberry


5. Accessibility


Saskatoon:

Yeeesss...barely...





Blueberry:

Very.




6. Stainability

Saskatoon to the left, blueberry to the right, wrinkles everywhere. Now we know why the natives used saskatoons as a dye!





7. Functionality

Dropped into pancakes and muffins, made into wine and jam, both the saskatoon and blueberry seem to excel equally in the kitchen. But since I am a little more partial to the sturdy saskatoon, I'll leave you with this pic (strawberry from my garden).



I'd share a recipe for saskatoons but honestly, I just take a blueberry one and substitute one-for-one with saskatoons. Oh, and cream can be added to the above. Or whip cream. You get the idea....

I'd love to hear if my saskatoon is called a blueberry in other parts, or do you have something else kinda the same?

Find me on Facebook or My Website


Comments

  1. You taught me something, Moira! I didn't know there was such a thing as saskatoon (the berry not the city). I'll have to see if I can find some in a grocery store . . . since I doubt I'd recognize it growing in the wild, despite your helpful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't find them in the wild in Ontario. Only found on the prairies. My daughter was in in Ottawa in July and had to explain to the students from other parts of Canada what a saskatoon was. The boy from Saskatchewan knew what she was talking about.

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I especially like the taste test. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of a saskatoon, Moira. Here in Charlotte, they're blueberries and I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do your blueberries look like our saskatoons? Do they grow on trees? I'm curious!

      Delete
    2. Our blueberries are more plump and not nearly as shiny as the saskatoon and they grow on bushes. :)

      Delete
    3. Ah, I see! :) We need to launch a berry picking tour of North America!

      Delete
  4. This falls into the category of "learn something new every day!" Thanks for the post and all its graphics. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting thanks for sharing. Blueberries grow on bushes. There are high bush blueberries and low bush blueberries. Wild and tame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have domesticated saskatoons, too! High bush varieties.

      Delete
  6. I'd never heard of Saskatoon berries, so this was very informative. Blueberries are supposed to have attributes good for a body's health. Is it the same with your native berries?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to learn of a saskatoon. I was born and raised in Southern California and have never heard of them. Next time I am at the farmer's market, I am going to ask around about them. Fun post! Bette Midler's "Blueberry Pie" played in my head while I read this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Krissie! I never heard the song before. It's perfect for this post. I'm including the link here, in case anyone wants to give it a whirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNw2UShKQfk
      Not sure if Blogger allows live links in comments. Maybe in southern California, they'll just be highbush blueberries, I dunno.

      Delete
    2. Oh yay! Thank you for including the link. I hope people will give it a listen. It's such a sweet, happy song. I used to sing and dance to it when I was little. There's a shop nearby that gets some fancy imported fruits and veggies now and then. I'll have to check them out. Have you ever tried Bonne Maman wild blueberry preserves? Heavenly! 👌 I am now inspired to get over to the store and stock up.

      Delete
    3. For the name alone, I would buy them. :)

      Delete
  8. A very mouth-watering and enjoyable post, Moira! I've never tasted a Saskatoon berry and now,I really want to! I must admit the blueberries we get in stores pale next to the wild ones, which are very expensive and not so easy to find in southern Ontario. Now I'm on a Saskatoon hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not native to Ontario, but the Costco here sells saskatoon jam.

      Delete
  9. I'm so excited to learn of a new berry. We have wild blueberies, but don't seem to have saskatoons in Alaska. Maybe it's too mountainous. Now it's on my bucket list to taste saskatoons.

    Many years ago, we were camping in Montana. The woman in the trailer beside us asked if we were there to pick huckleberries. When we said we'd never had a huckleberry she rushed into her trailer and brought us some. They were wonderful -- giant blueberries with intense blueberry flavor. I wonder if they're related to saskatoons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found an article on the differences between huckleberries and blueberries. They are from the same family, but the saskatoon is from a different family and apparently, is more closely related to the apple family. Interesting to note that they're not as far north as Alaska, though I read yet another article that said they did go as far. I believe you! Now, I want to try huckleberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alaska's a big place. Maybe they're here somewhere in the state and I just haven't come across them. Regardless, someday, I'm tasting a saskatoon. When do they ripen?

      Delete
    2. Generally, here in Alberta, in the last week of July. For whatever reason they are late this year, and we were picking them in the third week of August.

      Delete
  11. Okay, I'm going to have to order a saskatoon online just to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Moira, thank you for answering my question! I actually read another post where saskatoons were mentioned but I still didn't know what they were. lol. I kinda like blueberries but I bet I'd like saskatoons better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love learning something new like this. I had no idea. We live in blueberry country here. There's a large blueberry farm north of town that sits in an anomaly geographic area that is conducive to blueberries. I wonder if that farmer knows anything about your saskatoons. In any event, you've made my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this. We have a Serviceberry tree (I think saskatoon is a different name for it) but the birds got the berries before I tried one. It's still young and I have it planted by our chicken coop so that if any fall, the hens can enjoy them ;). I will say that it's definitely a four season (gorgeous in fall), multi-purpose tree. I have blueberry bushes too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still prefer a good blueberry to a saskatoon...as saskatoons have a slight sandy texture to them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment