My Heartwarming forecast for 2018


by Heartwarming editor Kathryn Lye

Harlequin Heatwarming is celebrating the new year with four new titles. Congratulations to Karen Rock for FALLING FOR A COWBOY, Tara Randel for HIS ONE AND ONLY BRIDE, Virginia McCullough for SOMETHING TO TREASURE and Loree Lough for BRINGING ROSIE HOME!







I'm no predictor of the future, but looking ahead can still be a fun, slightly scary, somewhat daunting exercise. As I studied the frosty, freezing world from my office window, here's what I came up with for what I'm expecting in 2018!

That the book business will continue to be a rollicking ride of change and adventure. Am I right, or am I right?

That Harlequin will move offices for the first time in 30+ years. Rather than the suburbs, we'll be in the downtown core of Toronto. A new view, a new era.




That the Blue Jays will bounce back from a previous bad season.  Let’s go, Blue Jays, let’s play ball!


That at least one Heartwarming title will receive a RITA nomination.  It’s about time!  These fantastic romances deserve recognition.


That I will continue to be committed to acquiring and editing the best stories possible.

That I’ll have a hard time finding a film to go see that doesn’t involve outer space or a superhero.  Don’t get me wrong, I love Chris Evans, Gal Gadot and the gang as much as the next person, but I also love plot development and complex characters (sorry, Aquaman).


That I will catch up on my reading of submitted proposals and manuscripts by or before the first thaw.  A number of authors are patiently waiting for feedback and I haven’t forgotten them.


These are the points uppermost in my mind at the moment, although many more do jump out at me.  But, what are you expecting from the next twelve months…?

Kathryn

Comments

  1. Thanks for the post, Kathryn. What am I expecting? Hopefully a couple more titles in the Heartwarming lineup! The one good thing about this freezing weather is it's a good opportunity to stay inside and either read or write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn, I love your optimism. (And your realism concerning the movie industry. Lol) How exciting that you guys are moving offices. (I think?) I'm expecting to 2018 to be a record-breaking year for me word-count wise. Go Blue Jays! And go HW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping for a better year than last, but maybe not as optimistic as you. But hope you are right on, and that your move to the city goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Kathryn, I so agree with your predictions. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kathryn. I think having offices in that beautiful downtown is very exciting. And I like how you think about the Rita. Wouldn't that be something? I've noticed the lack of Heartwarming titles in the finalist lineup and wondered about the reasons for it. But it's time to break the cycle--kind of like the Cubs in 2016! (Once a Cub fan always a Cub fan. I'm living proof.) A toast to Heartwarming books, editors, and authors and their success in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your predictions, Kathryn. With all that and a move in the middle, I predict a busy year for you -- in fact, a busy year for all of us. Here's to much success in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Heartwarming continues to bring me authors who've become auto-buys for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the post Kathryn. I look forward to working with you this year. Exciting news about the office moving. I love a new view, a new era!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, Kathryn! Your Aquaman comment kills me! I'm shallow enough not to care as long as I get to look at Jason Momoa. That said...I'm hopeful 2018 brings some sanity back to our world. I'm dying for kindness. Thank goodness for romances!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great post. I hope you're right about the RITAs and that the office move is both productive and exciting. Actually, I guess productive and exciting is what I hope for for all of us! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m expecting to read more Heartwarming stories that continue to warm my heart. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with the move, Kathryn, and I hope all of you settle in quickly! Also raising a (cyber) glass of bubbly to you, here's to a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am right there with you on films! In the next twelve months I'm expecting to finish, polish and submit the 3 book series idea I have, either sell or close down the gymnastics business that takes up so much of my writing time and enjoy as much time with my granddaughter as I can while she still thinks her Moo-Moo hung the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool new view, and I agree about the RITAs. It's time, past time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment