It was the best of times... @Helen DePrima and @Liz Flaherty

When we were thinking of what to write about this month, I asked Helen what she thought of using "best days" as a topic. She said she'd have to scratch her head on that one, and I'm so glad she did--her post is lovely. While you're reading, how about thinking of a best day to share with us?

by Helen DePrima

I can’t honestly identify one best or perfect day. I more recall periods in my life when all memories seem to be happy ones, disappointments or failures blurred by time and the remembered glow.

No kid ever had a happier childhood than I did, with an extended family of grandparents, aunts and uncles. I had five cousins on the same farm, a stable full of horses, plus pet cats and dogs, rabbits and chickens. After I first visited Colorado at age thirteen, each summer was the high point of my year, with weeks spent at the same working ranch.

Memories of my years at the University of Colorado are bathed with the happiness of falling in love and dreaming of the future, but I still feel a bit cheated on the wedding department. My aunts did most of the planning while I was finishing my last semester at the University of Rochester. I arrived home two days before the event but my luggage didn’t; my matron of honor outfitted me for the rehearsal dinner. My new husband and I had no time for a fairy-tale honeymoon because I needed to be in Denver to take my nursing boards, so we snatched a few days at an old resort hotel across the Ohio in (I kid you not) French Lick, Indiana. Hometown of Larry Bird, if you’re a basketball fan.

Moving to Colorado was the kind of adventure I love: everything we owned crammed into a ’63 Beetle, with no idea where we might land. Westward ho! Only to spend the next year buried in a windowless surgical suite just west of Denver, dealing with skiing injuries, hiking and climbing mishaps, and weekend cowboys with less horse sense than their mounts.

After the year of OR imprisonment, the next four years in northern Colorado were pure heaven. As a Visiting Nurse, I chased up and down the Front Range and into the high country in my Beetle, seeing patients as varied as the centenarian who remembered cattle drives and gunfights on the main street to surgical follow-ups and health counseling in the migrant workers’ camps.

Moving east and becoming a stay-at-home mom after my husband graduated vet school was real culture shock, but I came to appreciate New Hampshire, especially the seacoast. Learning to sail and crewing on friends’ deep-water boats gave me the same delight I felt as a kid riding along the Little Snake River in northern Colorado.


Now my thrills are more usually on paper, or rather on the screen of my laptop – the perfect phrase, the unexpected plot turn, the new character who muscles in uninvited to steal the show. I hand over all the remembered sights and smells and sounds I’ve collected over seventy-plus years, doing my best to share my souvenirs with my readers.
by Liz Flaherty

The reason I suggested "best days" as a topic is that 46 years ago today, our daughter Kari was born. She weighed just a hair over six pounds and was 18 inches long and...oh, what a great day it was. I had two others like that, when her brothers were born. A generation later, when the grands started making their appearances, the sweetness of those seven days was different, but no less.

Another best day was in October of 1998 when Hilary Sares called from Kensington and said, "I want to buy your book." Charles's call from Harlequin several years later was every bit as exciting. To this day, I make notes with every call, and to this day I'm unable to decipher them after I hang up. 

It's snowing today, which makes me remember once after the kids had started to pull away some, not wanting to spend their time with Duane and me, when the five of us walked across the field in the snow. I don't remember why, just how precious the moments were. Another time that gave the same feeling was a long evening when the power was out and we sat around and played board games by lantern light. 

A few years back, all of us spent Thanksgiving weekend together at a rented house in Tennessee. It was all fun, but I'll never forget watching the teenagers standing around the table assembling pizzas together.


My son-in-law's mother made quilt tops before she died. I took the one Jim had and finished it and had it quilted, then presented it to him as a gift from both his moms. I was nervous about interfering with something so precious to him, but I needn't have worried. I think he knew how much both she and I love him.

My best days seem to always be wrapped around family and writing. I'm good with that.

Comments

  1. Lovely post! It's funny now, looking back, how absolutely wonderful those memories of childhood are. I didn't treasure them when I should have. I think this post is a good reminder to stop and smell the flowers and make each day the best day ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that I'm so deeply rooted in my memories because of growing up with my grandparents. I had access to long-ago family recollections like my great-grandfather's running off to join the Union Army at 16 and being imprisoned at Andersonville.

      Delete
  2. You're right, LeAnne. We do need to do that. Best days surely don't take any more effort than their nasty counterpart! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wonderful posts, ladies, warmed my heart on this dreary cold day here! As I get older, childhood and child-raising memories give me much comfort and pleasure. I enjoyed reading your memories so much and thought about how they reflect something about your natures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janice! We definitely have some dreary and cold going on here, too, but at least it was in the teens this morning--heat wave!

      Delete
    2. Hi Janice -- thanks for joining us. January seems to be a good time for looking back as well as making resolutions for the future.

      Delete
  4. Can't help but love such sentimental posts from both of you ladies. While we are in times that might try our souls if we let them, family, friends and writing are there to keep all of us grounded. I hope sunny days are on the horizon for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too, Roz. One of my "best days" was when I got to become a Heartwarming author. It's one of the most special things I've ever known.

      Delete
    2. Hi Roz -- Like Liz, The Call from my wonderful agent Stephany Evans is definitely one of my best memories.

      Delete
  5. Thanks. I like those best day stories. Such wonderful memories you shared. It's a reminder, too, about the bad days being dips and the line will head up again. One of my best days for sure was getting the news about my Heartwarming series. One of those snapshot memories that I'll always cherish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that term: snapshot memories. For me, it has taken being older to realize just how precious they are. When I was younger, I worried too much about making them last into a full-length movie. They seldom did. :-)

      Delete
    2. Hi Virginia -- It's hard to remember during the bad times that this too shall pass. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  6. As always, Helen and Liz, a lovely post. So true how transitory the sweet moments are. Like LeAnne, I'm trying to cultivate them every day now. Best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Moira. I want to concentrate on that, too. I have a gratitude jar, but I'm lax about putting things in it--I need to be better!

      Delete
    2. Amazing how time speeds up as age increases. I remember how vacation seemed to stretch forever when school let out for the summer. Now I'm just putting my plants in the ground when it's already time to put the garden to bed. Sigh.

      Delete
  7. What beautiful memories you’ve both shared with us today. Thank you. As we age we do well to capture the good memories and savor them because challenges can consume us if we’re not careful. Now I know why elderly people love to reminisce about days gone by. It brings them comfort and solace. And I used to love listening to my grandmother talk about her life when I was a little girl. Now I find myself telling my daughter about how things were before she was born.
    I have many, many best days. But one that you will all appreciate is the day I found Harlequin Heartwarming books. It’s a gift that I can relive over and over again, each time I glance one of your books that are strewn about all over my home. Know that you will always have a fan out here, and that I’m grateful that your wonderful books exist. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are grateful to and for you, too, Laurie. I know I (like everyone else, I'm sure) wish I'd listened better to those stories my mom and grandmother told. I'm so happy that we still get to tell them!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for participating in our pleasure; readers like you make the glass always more than half full.

      Delete
  8. Lovely post. We just returned from my husband's grandmother's funeral. She was 100. We were remembering when that side of the family got together for a big trip to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone more than 30 years ago and had so much fun together. Grandma Milly was in her sixties then, and really enjoyed her whitewater raft adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story, and aren't you glad you were there?

      Delete
    2. Hi Beth -- glad you enjoyed our ramblings. How lucky you were to have a family member live to that age. My grandfather grew up driving horse-drawn vehicles; to his last day at the wheel, he swung the car to the left before making a right turn as he always had driving a horse and buggy. Scary for oncoming drviers.

      Delete
  9. Best days are always those shared with family. Loved reading about your best days. I never knew my grandparents, but my mom had four brother and two sisters and when we all got together, what a time we had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still love when my siblings are together. We are so different, but share so much, too.

      Delete

Post a Comment