Words for the Years


by Cari Lynn Webb and Beth Carpenter


Here we are in that week between Christmas and New Year’s. It’s a time to relax and to reflect. So taking a cue from Dickens, we’re thinking about the Ghosts of New Year’s Past, New Year’s Present, and New Year’s Future. And because we’re writers, we’re giving each one a word. Let’s play!

New Year’s Past


Beth’s word: Organization
I had great intentions in 2017. I planned to organize my writing, my activities, my home. How did that work out? Well, let’s just say the mountain of to-be-filed papers beside my printer hasn’t disappeared. My writing routine isn’t quite as routine as I’d hoped. But the deadlines were met, we made some progress on home improvements, and the family is fed and cared for. I’ll call it a win.

Cari’s words: Exhausted and Excited
I had to use two words as I look back on 2017. The year had multiple deadlines in my writing life. With each one I met, I was both exited and exhausted and equally determined to meet the next deadline early (not that it happened, but I had good intentions). The excitement of moving into a new house came with my daughter falling down the cement stairs and breaking her foot-nothing like eight weeks in a boot to put a hamper on a teenager’s summer fun. My oldest daughter started high school (and as anyone can attest with a high schooler – there has been a range of emotions from exciting all the way to terrifying and that has been what I’ve felt.) There were ups and downs all year, but we made it and that makes me excited to see what the new year brings.


New Year’s Present


Beth’s word: Gratitude
I’m a lucky woman. I have a good man, a wonderful family, and a sweet dog. My second Heartwarming, A Gift for Santa, came out this month. I’ve had a great time with the book tour and promotion. Reviewers and bloggers have been very kind, and I’m grateful. I’m also thankful for all you Heartwarmers for your support. Most of all, I’m thankful to my readers. It’s been great.

Cari’s word: Full
I’m writing this after a Christmas weekend spent with family. Our family has homemade raviolis for dinner on Christmas Eve every year (my mom and I made 300 raviolis on Saturday) and then we all proceeded to eat and drink our way through the holiday weekend with homemade cookies and even more food. So in a very literal sense, I’m full. But as I look at my life now, I’m so very blessed for everything I have: a fabulous husband, terrific daughters and a wonderful extended family and friends. I’m blessed for every moment I get to spend with the people I love. I’m also blessed to be able to write for Heartwarming and meet the readers who love romance as much as I do. My life is full and I’m so grateful every day.


New Year’s Future 


Beth’s word: Hope
A fresh new year is all about hope. Who, knows, maybe this is the year I’ll finally lose weight, exercise, or learn to knit. My next book, Alaska Hideaway, is all about a man who has lost hope, and how his neighbor helps restore that hope.

Cari’s word: Anticipation
I’m ready for 2018 … I’m looking forward to the new year and already starting a list of goals for the year. Like Beth, I’m feeling hopeful: this will be the year I conquer the book marketing that intimidates me, learn something new (how to golf or Pilates or perhaps how to upgrade my cake decorating skills), and travel (I want to explore the east coast now that we’ve moved to South Carolina). Mostly, I’m ready to see what new memories will be made with my family and friends in 2018. I’m hoping for a lot of laughter and love and wishing all of you the very same!



Your turn. Do you have words for New Year’s Past, Present and Future?

May your new year be ever Heartwarming.


Part of the Heartwarming
Holiday Wishes Collection
Find it at Amazon
Find it at Amazon

Cari and Beth both have Christmas stories out. 

You can find out more on the web.






Comments

  1. A great post! I have great hopes for New Year's Future, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My words: past/productive, present/lazy, future/better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're allowed a lazy break after a productive year. Next year will be better, I think.

      Delete
  3. Despite all the disaster and heartache my friends endured and are still going through due to Hurricane Harvey and the on going fires in California in 2017, I am blessed that no one I know has died. My past is blessed. My present is very blessed as I just signed my new Heartwarming contract, and the future is filled with blessings! I believe 2018 will be a wonderful year for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe so, too. When we count our blessings, we realize just how good our lives are, and can be.

      Delete
  4. Awwww. what a lovely post. Lifted my spirits for sure. I'm going into 2018 clinging to hope that it will be a better year that lifts us up, but knowing I am incredibly fortunate in all that I have, including my family and friends. THanks, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...a better year that lifts us up." That's exactly what we need.

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for this post. Makes me think about gratitude and hope and anticipation and I'll add excitement about my various writing projects. I certainly feel fortunate and blessed. Happy New Year to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited, too, and can't wait to read your stories.

      Delete
  6. Love your answers, Beth! May you learn to knit in 2018! I have so much handspun yarn in my garage it's more insulated than my house :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handspun? That sounds amazing. I love natural fibers and homespun texture.

      Delete

Post a Comment