Sit Down Saturday with Virginia McCullough

Welcome to another Sit Down Saturday. We’re here today with Virginia McCullough who is a new Harlequin Heartwarming author. Her debut novel, Girl in the Spotlight, just released this month. Welcome, Virginia and readers!

What does the back cover say about Girl in the Spotlight, Book 1 of Virginia’s Two Moon Bay Series?

When Miles Jenkins sees the graceful young figure skater on TV, he can't believe how much she resembles Lark McGee, the girl he dated briefly in college. Could this aspiring star be the child Lark gave up for adoption eighteen years ago? He has to find out.

Locating Lark ignites conflicting emotions in Miles—including regrets for what might have been and romantic feelings that take the two single parents by surprise. As they prepare to meet their daughter, this deeper connection between the two just might be the chance at love they never got.


Where did you get the idea for the novel?

I’ve always wondered what it would be like to discover that a child relinquished for adoption grew up to be well known or somehow in the public eye. That formed the seed, but I’m also a fan of figure skating, so I combined the two themes. I also wanted to create a couple, who weren’t necessarily star-crossed as young people and torn apart by circumstances. Lark and Miles had a casual relationship as college students. They are surprised by what could happen to them as adults.

Do you have a favorite scene?

Hands down, my favorite is the first time Lark and Miles see their now 18-year-old daughter, Perrie Lynn, skate. They’re sitting high in an arena looking down on the ice, and it’s as if a painting comes to life. Lark is distressed that she can’t immediately single out Perrie Lynn in a group of skaters, and the reality that she knows so little about her daughter hits hard. But that gives way to a trancelike state watching Perrie Lynn perform. Lark feels every jump, extension, and spin in her own body (and so did I!). Lark is overwhelmed by sharing this intimate moment with Miles.


Tell us about Two Moon Bay.

Two Moon Bay has it all—it’s located on Wisconsin’s Lake Michigan shore. It has all the elements needed for a busy life in a small lakefront town—the Silver Moon Winery and the Half Moon CafĂ© to a yacht club that’s the perfect place for big gatherings. It has tour boats and waterfront paths and everyone enjoys coffee and at treat at the Bean Grinder. 

What’s next for you?

I’m pleased that book 2, Something to Treasure, is scheduled for release in January 2018. Dawn, a busy and lively PR consultant (and Lark’s best friend) is looking for a new challenge professionally and personally and finds both with Jerrod, a newcomer to Two Moon Bay. He runs shipwreck diving excursions and needs Dawn’s help to establish his business on the Lake Michigan shore. He’s yet to fully recover from the devastating loss of his wife and one of his daughters in a terrorist attack halfway around the world. Dawn herself has deep longings of her own and some healing to do.
Book 3 is underway, so I’m deep into Andi and Zeke’s story. Andi happens to be Miles’s ex-wife, and given their ability to team up to raise their daughter, Brooke, I thought Andi just had to have her own story. Zeke was in the right place at the right time. Putting their heads together to restore something old might give them a chance for something new.

Do you have themes that emerge again and again?

In my previous novels and Girl in the Spotlight and Books 2 & 3, the characters could be our family, friends, or neighbors. Like everyday people, they often struggle to hang on to hope, have wounds to heal, and are always grateful for second chances. 

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Download your copy of Girl in the Spotlight from your favorite online retailer. If you enjoy the story, please consider posting a review to help other readers discover Virginia’s books.

Harlequin: http://bit.ly/2nk6XM9
Amazon: http://amzn.to/2nPKTwK
B&N: http://bit.ly/2nnph80
iBooks: http://apple.co/2oCUhB0
Kobo: http://bit.ly/2olDjI7
Google Play: http://bit.ly/2nEg6lT
Goodreads: http://bit.ly/2qJHWjO

Virginia loves to connect with readers. Choose your favorite way to learn more about Virginia and her books.

Virginia on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/virginia.mccullough.7
Virginia on Twitter: https://twitter.com/VEMcCullough
Virginia’s Newsletter: http://bit.ly/2tOwL6s
Virginia’s Website: https://virginiamccullough.com/

Comments

  1. Great sit down, Virginia! I can see why that's your favorite scene in Girl in the Spotlight. I'm looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Jill. Don't you love it when you experience something you write on many levels? That's why that scene is such fun for me. I appreciate your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations for the release of your debut Heartwarming book, Virginia. Like Jill, I can also see why that scene is your favorite.

    All three books in your series sound wonderful, and I wish you much success with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On deadline for Book 3, as yet not officially titled. My working title is "working on a dream," my homage to Bruce Springsteen. Love that song. But that's not what the title will actually be down the road. Thanks for your comments--and your support.

      Delete
  3. Two Moon Bay sounds like a delightful place, Virginia! Can't wait to "visit" there myself. And Girl in the Spotlight sounds like a lovely and heart-wrenching story. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to move to Two Moon Bay myself...I have the street and house all picked out! In my imagination. But I guess I already have moved in, at least in a certain way, just like I live in the locations for all my books. I enjoy creating an environment. It's one of my favorite parts of the writing process. Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. This book sounds great, Virginia! I can't want to read about Two Moon Bay as well as Lark and Miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I appreciate your support. I've had a great time participating in this blog and getting to know all of you.

      Delete
  5. Virginia, Two Moon Bay sounds wonderful and I look forward to reading all your books in the series. I am mesmerized by figure skating. What fun you must have had writing this story! I wish you every success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the skating, and certain kinds of dancing, too. Thanks for the good wishes, and yes, it was great fun to write!

      Delete
  6. I loved the story, and can't wait to read the next two books. Two Moon Bay is a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. That's lovely to hear, Beth. I'm glad you enjoyed the story and the place!

      Delete
  7. Hi Virginia, great interview! I love all of the names you choose, Miles, Lark and Perrie Lynn... not to mention Two Moon Bay! How did you come up with the character names for this book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where Miles came from--just popped in. I've always loved the name Lark, and Perrie Lynn came up because I played around with two names. Can't recall how Two Moon Bay came about other than the image of the lake on a still night. Thanks for asking.

      Delete

Post a Comment