The Joy Of Seeing A "Real" Book

Okay, it's silly, but I love to hold a book in my hands. Now, I'm not a complete Luddite -- I read ebooks. But I have missed having hard copy books on the shelves. 

So color me tickled when Heartwarming had four wonderful authors available in two of my local Walmarts. I still remember how I was able to persuade a romance reader to take a copy of each home with her. Would she have been as willing to do that if I had suggested she download them? 

Maybe. Hopefully. 

But I know that being able to hand her the books was definitely a factor in closing the deal. 

I still remember discovering many of my favorite authors in discount chains. Back then, my mom would leave me in the book section while she did her shopping. I'd find a book and start reading. 

As I got older, I still stood in the book section and read the first chapter. That's where I found Harlequins, Alice Walker, Tess Gerritsen, and loads of other favorites over the years. There's something about having that book in hand and wanting to read more that is an irresistible combo. 

The nice lady I met didn't take much convincing. She wanted several books to distract her from her cold. Buying the Heartwarming novels would "save me a trip to the library."

I hope more readers are like this lady was and will give Heartwarming a try. And I hope that when SWEET JUSTICE comes out, it will also be available. Reading the first chapter of my own book in the book section might be an interesting experience. 

Comments

  1. I miss browsing through bookstores and wish they weren't disappearing (or having smaller sections in stores)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too! I'm like you, Cynthia, looking forward to standing in WM and reading the first chapter of my own book, even though I have to travel halfway across the state to do it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take a 30 minute trip to the Wal Mart that sells Heartwarming books each month to purchase one, or some. I could just as easily download them, but it's true, there's nothing like picking up a physical book and looking at the beautiful cover. I broke down and purchased a Kindle Paperwhite a little over a year ago out of necessity, and I do like it because the reading experience resembles a real book (unlike trying to read on my IPAD mini with the glare and all); I can read in bed at night without disturbing hubby, can instantly look up words and increase the font size, highlight passages, but with all of these advantages, my preference is still a real book. I keep my books in my closet, and every time I open my closet door and see all of those beautiful titles on the shelf (I have a really big closet), it fills my heart with joy. I don't get that same thrill when I see the black and white pictures of books on my Kindle. It's nice, but doesn't quite compare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bookstores are a wonderful experience. In L.A. we had Pickwick Books, in Portland there are several Powell's Books. You have to walk through for twenty minutes just to give your brain time to settle down and focus. When my kids were young and I had a grocery list a mile long, I'd keep track of what I estimated something would cost compared to what it did cost so I'd know what I had left to spend on the Harlequin rack. Paper books are outstanding! But Ron wouldn't be able to read without a Kindle because he can't turn the pages, and whenever I move boxes of books around, I think how easy it would be if they were all on Kindle. But, then, I'd have nothing to complain about. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Congratulations on Sweet Justice, Cynthia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I much prefer print books, too, Cynthia.

    I'm hoping that it's only a matter of time until we can see our books on the shelves in Canada in Walmarts--maybe even Indigo-Chapters--some time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my kindle, too. But I dearly miss going to the bookstore! It was an event - like other people go the mall or to the movies. Alas, the closest Barnes & Noble is an hour away now and I have to settle for the book sections of Target and WalMart, which are great. But not quite the same!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be such fun to come across someone reading in the book section and find out she wrote the book.

    I like my Kindle, but there is something about holding a real book and the look of a row of books stashed neatly on a shelf that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment