Sit Down Saturday with Amy Vastine

Today we’re celebrating Amy Vastine’s release of The Better Man, the first book in her Chicago Sisters series.

So, Amy, where did you get the idea for this novel?
I am a school social worker by day and one of the big issues we see is school anxiety. Kids are refusing to come to school because it makes them so anxious. In the book, six-year old Simon suffers from an anxiety disorder called selective mutism which makes school a very difficult place. I guess the idea from the book started there, with a boy who didn’t talk. Next, I needed a reason for him to begin to talk and a daddy-lookalike hero popped in my head! The rest is history.

In looking at the cover, if you could add a caption or captions, what would they say?
Fatherhood: The toughest job you’ll ever love.

What is your favorite scene?

I have a lot of favorites in this book. There are so many different emotions played out. I love the sisters the most, though. Kendall, Emma, and Lucy are fiercely protective of one another but also love to give each other a hard time. My favorite scene is when Lucy, the health nut tries to take away her youngest sister’s cheese puffs. Never take away a hungry girl’s cheese puffs.

Who was your favorite character and why?
Oh, this is like asking me to choose a favorite child. I love Simon, Kendall’s son and I love Max, because I think the author should always love their hero! Max grows up the most in this story. His journey is a tough one. He knows who he wants to be but isn’t sure how to get there and begins to doubt if he can as well. Kendall and Simon show him he’s capable of more than he knew. It allows him to be there for them as well as find a way to be the father he wants to be to his own son. Plus he gorgeous, dresses well, and has a little scruff. *sigh*

lf you could pick fictional characters to play the hero and heroine, who would they be?
Easy! I’ve always pictured Max as Ryan Gosling from the movie Crazy, Stupid, Love. And Kendall is Liv Tyler. I love them both!!

This is your second book. Exactly what does that mean to you?
Well, I guess this means I’m legit! One book was AMAZING but two means it was more than luck. I can’t wait to say I have written 10, 20, 50 books!
What do you plan to work on next?

Next up is Emma’s story. You meet both Emma and her love interest in The Better Man. Charlie is maybe my favorite character of all time. I want to be friends with him and just hang out. Their book is call The Best Laid Plans. The title has changed from my original title, which was The Better Plan. We decided against having all the titles being too similar. Then after that is Lucy’s story, which I think will be full of fun drama! The best part is I don’t have to say goodbye to Max, Kendall, and Simon - they follow me through all three book! Love that part for sure. 

Comments

  1. Big congrats Amy!! The book sounds awesome:) isn't it wonderful writing a series-you never have to leave behind the characters you love from previous books:)
    Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! I do like that part of writing a series! It is a little daunting, knowing what you write about a character in the first one has to stay that way by the third. Consistency is key!

      Delete
    2. OMG-I know! And book five has been a challenge to write for that reason because I had the heroine smoking when she appeared in other books lol, so now I had to incorporate her trying to quit lol. One stupid little line in 'The Trouble With Mistletoe' lol.

      Delete
  2. Hey, hooray, I just got my subscription yesterday. Now I need to carve out time to read all four of the great selections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't go wrong this month! Great stories from all :)

      Delete
  3. Amy, this story sounds wonderful and I can hardly wait to read it.

    Congratulations on the wonderful reviews its getting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! I've been lucky to hear people have enjoyed it so far. Hope more will take a look :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats, Amy! Your book and the series sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Amy! The story does sound wonderful, and I'm sure that "buy-me!" cover is going to get it in a lot of hands. Frankly, I just don't see the appeal in Ryan Gosling (I'm too ancient, I guess) but the guy on your cover really does it for me. Looking forward to all three books - love their dynamic in the teaser you posted yesterday. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Muriel! I don't like Ryan in everything he does, but that movie Crazy, Stupid, Love - I was in love! I do like the guy on the cover, too. He made my day when opened that pic from the art department ;)

      Delete
  6. Love your cover! Then I had to go look up Ryan Gosling...yeah, I know, I should watch more movies. lol Like your cover better! Sounds like a great story!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a wonderful read. I love the cover. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment