Happy Thanks-living by Syndi Powell



Last month, a friend of mine made a comment that this month she was going to celebrate Thanks-living. For her, that meant sharing something that she was thankful for every day in November. She said she would post her daily thanks on Facebook as status updates and encouraged some of us to do the same.

Years ago, I kept a gratitude journal where I would list three things that I appreciated for that day. Surely sharing one thing a day for every day in November couldn't be that hard, right? I have many blessings in my life, so I started with members of my family. My husband, stepson, parents, sisters, and their families were all included. Some days it's been about being thankful for what I have: my health, food in my cupboards when so many go to bed hungry, my job, my talents and gifts.

I don't know if my Thanks-living has inspired anyone else like my friend's encouragement did with me, but it has opened my eyes to see what blessings I have in my life. I've worried less about what is going to happen and focused on today. I'm learning to live a life of thanks.

What are you thankful for today?

Comments

  1. I've been following your FB posts, Syndi and I look forward to reading them! I'm thankful for the wonderful Heartwarming family to which I now belong. It's like being surrounded by the kindest, most supportive and very talented group of sisters I could have ever wished for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - Happy Birthday sometime this week!

      Delete
    2. Karen, thank you for your support and encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Syndi, I try my best to start every day with an attitude of gratitude. Today I'm grateful for the beauty of the sun rising over the Catalina mountains. On my morning walk they were pink, lavender and gold. Just seeing them filled my heart with joy. Wishing you all the best this day has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a beautiful image, Roz. Sometimes the best scenes are the ones that weren't created by humans.

      Delete
  3. I'm thankful that I finished my revision at 9:59 last night! Like Karen, I'm thankful for all of you and what you do to keep me connected and make me feel supported and loved. And I'm with Roz, though my view is very different. Broad river, freighters, seagulls. A cold front came in last night and is supposed to keep us rain-free for the next two weeks. It's 31 degrees, but I have Ron to snuggle with and the dog and cats to pile on, so I am so, so thankful! Blessings on all of you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo, Muriel! congratulations on the revision! When is your next book coming out?

      Delete
  4. Like many others here, I try to remember what I'm thankful for every day. Some days it's a clear blue sky. Other days it's the health of my parents. Thanks for the reminder that life is meant to be lived fully and the little things that can be annoying are just little things in the big picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, learning the art of living with gratitude can change your life. Like you said, the little things that annoy us stay little and lose their power.

      Delete
  5. I am so thankful for many things this year. Being given the chance to do something I never thought possible like publish a book comes to mind! I am also surrounded by the most supportive family and friends a girl could ask for :) Thanks for the post, Syndi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I hope you enjoy the journey to publication. Holding your book in your hand for the first time is a moment that you'll never forget :)

      Delete
  6. I love that phrase 'thanks-living'! I'm thankful for everything this year...the good and bad...because in retrospect, even the bad turned out to be stepping stones to all the wonderful things that have happened to me this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment