I'd type a little faster...

If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster. -Isaac Asimov

Hi Everyone! Today I am simply introducing myself and the above quote is me in a nutshell:) But, since I should probably elaborate...

Last night my two and a half year old son made me a bookshelf. Aside from the heavy lifting, (which my husband offered his muscles for) he did everything himself-hammered in the nails, screwed in the screws, secured the shelves. When he asked me why I needed it, I told him it was because I am addicted to reference books and I no longer had enough space to actually write.

I love reference books. Do I use everything in each one? No, but I've learned some great things from each and every one. (More of this to come in future blog posts) However, I realized the books I use the most, the ones with the most dog eared pages and post-it note flags coming from inside were the ones that were written for inspiration. The ones that tell of the quirky, unique habits of other writers. The ones that reaffirm how joyful and dreadful this writing world can be at times. The ones that always make me feel like I belong and I truly am a writer.

And that's exactly how writing for Harlequin Heartwarming feels. In the few weeks since signing my contract, I've been fortunate enough to become involved with this blogpost with a warm welcome, I've already spoken to my editor-Victoria Curran, who has provided me with some great insight into my manuscript, and I've been invited to an author's training webinar. Already I feel like I belong.

This is my first time blogging, so I promise to try to keep them relevant and interesting (going forward, I mean lol:)). I will always start with a quote because I love quotes about writing and no one else in my life cares about writing quotes, so I'm going to share them with my writing family lol. The topics I'd like to talk about are-using reference books successfully, the psychology behind developing three dimensional characters, and overcoming roadblocks to creation.

Thanks again to the amazing ladies already posting on this blog for including me!

XO,
Jennifer


Comments

  1. Jennifer,
    We're so glad you're here. And, how amazing that your little man knew exactly what his Mama needed. I love reference books, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer! Welcome :) have you read anything by Ralph Fletcher? I love his writing tips like 'don't freeze to the face' and 'remember the belt loops' I think you are blessed with such a loving, supportive family who will give you much inspiration during your Heartwarming career :) I'm looking forward to more of your posts and your upcoming novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      No, not yet, but I will definitely look into his books, thanks!
      I can't tell you how amazingly supportive my family is. I wrote my first published novella with my son, an infant at the time, on my lap:) He is an incredible source of inspiration.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Jennifer! I think I've welcomed you already, but I really like the 'sound' of you so, welcome again! I also love reference books, and that's the only part of my office that's organized. My shelf was built by my then 60-ish husband, but with the same love and support your little guy made yours. Everything else is in stacks and piles with a dog on the futon and a cat in my lap. What other job would allow us to work like this? I feel very blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Muriel,

    Thank you! I usually have my son on my lap while I write and currently we have four cats in our home (we have shared custody of a couple lol). They are usually lying next to my laptop or across my desk lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, it's such a pleasure to meet you! I have to admit that I'm addicted to wikipedia because when I need to have that one piece of vital information, it's nice to type it in and have it pop up. LOL

    Bookshelves are so important to readers, but especially writers. Love that your son could see what you needed and stepped in to help. Such a little blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, these important services will help you to secure your account. I had such experience recently

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment